Friday, February 8, 2008

welcoming dinner at intertribal friendship house



I don't know what's going on these last couple of days - but guys, I can't stop eating. Maybe it's that I'm not smoking, maybe I've got all this nervous energy..maybe, like a hibernating bear I'm storing up for lean times ahead..I don't know - but I feel like quite the porketta.

And on that note, let me tell you about the welcoming dinner I attended tonight over in Oakland. There was quite the spread and I sampled a goodly portion of all offerings.

But, in non-food news. I got there a little early and met a few of my fellow walkers. There was definitely an array of folks.. I met Wade first - he seems great - he's been on the road for awhile, a self-described 'hermit' type who is nonetheless very outgoing and eager to be of service to his new clan. Seemingly laid back I think he'll be one of those "it's all good" people, without being flaky or insincere in that belief. I liked him immediately.
I also met one of the other bloggers, she came from Florida and is eager to get underway. She's been picking up bits and pieces of info from the organizers. She found out that we will be starting our days at 5:00am with a ceremony and then beginning our walk at 5:30. It's a good thing I'm an early riser.
Antonio flew in this afternoon and showed up (that's him with his registration form) just after I did. Antonio's awesome, he's always got a smile and is a pretty easy going guy.

The dinner opened up with drums, chanting and blessings for the walkers. When I got home tonight Susi said I smelled like a campfire - it was all the sage that was being smudged everywhere - what a great scent to be covered in - and I'm sure it will help mask the myriad of odors we walkers will be generating after about 3 days on the road!

I helped out a little in the kitchen and met 3 women from Japan and 1 woman from Australia. They'll be walking for 90 days (the limit on their Visas). So I feel like in a short span of time I've already met some very cool folk.
There were at least a couple hundred people at this dinner..many were locals who were there in support..I couldn't tell how many walkers had shown up. I'll be going up to DQ University near Davis on Sunday and will get a better idea of how many walkers we'll be starting out with. There were a few people I met tonight who are just walking for a couple/three days at the outset and then will be leaving the group. It seems a truer number will settle in after about a week.

Anyway -- hey, a couple of people recognized me from my "Voices" intro (thanks Sam, for commenting BTW) -- which was a little odd. I really hope we can get some more people up there - it's weird being the sole rep for "voices" at this point.

In other news: Still haven't smoked (but wanted to BADLY at that dinner, what with all the social awkwardness - thanks for listening Joan!) and I got the official word from Curve Magazine that I can use their name to solicit stories on the road..so that's very cool. And I'll be getting right on that.
I'm pretty tired - but happy that I'm close to starting this whole thing. Tomorrow is my last day in town. I think food will be involved.

Love ya!

1 comment:

kitt said...

i still think you should talk to curves, too... never know what kind of pounds will be lost just by the cross crawl motion of your crowd crossing the country... the sun is officially and unabashedly out for the first time today in god knows how long. i feel like i'm sharing a little of your california weather! (hooray!) now if i only didn't have to study for midterms...

:)

/kitt