Friday, February 29, 2008

climbing "Cesar's Mountain"


This morning some of us took a hike up the hill behind La Paz to see the place where Cesar Chavez would go in the morning to meditate, do yoga and have some time to himself before his work day began. A man named Danny, who worked alongside Cesar for many years took us up there.

This little rock setting was a favorite spot of his to sit. There was a little clear patch of grass nearby that he would walk around as well. Danny said that this is the first time they've allowed a group to come up here as it's considered hallowed ground to family and friends of La Paz. He said that he knew we would understand the significance of this place and honor it as such.
This Japanese man in the middle has been learning Native songs, and to honor Danny and his son (who also walked up with us) - they sang a couple of songs for them. While they were finishing up the second song, I decided to walk down on my own. The morning was just warming up, the sky was clear and blue and suddenly I was struck with tears as I realized where I was and whose path I was walking in. I was so thankful at that moment for people like Chavez who were inspired to devote their lives for others.

I found myself coming out of the footpath onto the road at the same time as Chavez' grandson Fernando was walking down as well. We walked back to La Paz together and talked about the Walk and what it means for people when we come through towns. For him, he remembered as a small child how much community there was here - it was a much more bustling place - so he likes when the groups come through. He said our Walk is giving a lot of hope and energy to every place we visit. I told him the feeling was mutual. He's a lovely young man, I wanted to take his picture but it wasn't the right time. We were told a story yesterday about Fernando.
They bring a lot of youth groups here to La Paz - kids that need a little extra direction. One day two of the youths were fighting and Fernando stepped between them and stopped the fight, using the non-violence techniques he's grown up on (he's still a very young guy..maybe in his early twenties) - he told them that "we don't even play fight here" - and he was able to talk these guys down. Can you imagine growing up with that much awareness?
It's amazing being here in this place. When I met up at lunch with the folks I climbed the mountain with they told me that after they finished singing all of their songs, a Red-Tailed Hawk came down and flew right above them, gliding in the wind, checking them out.

No comments: