Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hello from Fresno, California!

I know - you guys are thinking...Fresno? But, this has been one of the best spots I have stayed so far! We are always gifted with so much generosity along the way - and last night as we were eating our meal (prepared for us by members of the Love Song Community Center) - a man came by and said that a friend of his was offering up her lodge for the women and the men to have a sweat the following day. He said that any women that wanted to come up and camp on her property were welcome to do so. Surprisingly, only myself and fellow walker, Kathleen chose to go - too bad for everyone else! When we got here, Cindy offered us beds and hot showers. We declined the beds, prefering to camp out under the red light of the lunar eclipse - and then she said, "would you girls be intrested in getting into the jacuzzi?"

What?

I have never had a better hot tub in my entire life. If you don't think you would miss a hot bath - try not having one for three weeks - we have barely had hot showers (usually once every couple of days if we are lucky...and they are not always hot) -let alone getting to soak in a big, beautiful jacuzzi..with jets. Can I just say...I don't even have words.

At about 5am we got up and helped get the fire going for the women's lodge. At around 7am a group of women from walk showed up and we went into the lodge to pray and sing and offer thanks. I have done sweat lodges in Portland - but I've never heard the songs sung in Native tongues -and we get to hear songs from many different nations as we travel. We also got to hear songs from our Japanese walkers as well as Celtic tune. Very beautiful. So many people are in gratitude to us for this Walk we are taking. I am so grateful that I get to be here to experience all of this. It's amazing. Every time we receive gifts or warm wishes - it helps me to think about those people and who I'm walking for when it gets to be mile 10-15-19...you know?
Anyway -- I'm gonna send some pictures along. I don't have much time yet on this computer...love you all!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow Nik. so good to get visuals (photos in recent post) and read about your walking prayers and gratitude. puts my daily trivialities in perspective. life is what we make it, how we think about it and who we love. thanks for inspiring me! joan