Sunday, February 17, 2008

the Sikh Temple in Stockton


For some frustrating reason, I can't post any pictures right now. Too bad - I got a couple of cool ones from our night at the Sikh Temple. This Temple was built in 1914 and is now a California Historical Landmark. I didn't know this, but there have been Sikh people in CA since about 1865.
These folks were incredibly hospitable to our massive circus of people - they made us an incredible meal and let us lay our sleeping bags all over the floor of their (very comfortable) dining area. We were also able to set up tents within the outer walls of the property (which I did) - and they put our elders up in the many rooms they also have.
I was actually sick that night so I wasn't able to hear the talk about the Sikh religion, so I'll have to fill you in on that later, but one of the things I heard is that at this temple (and at all Sikh sites) there is a flag that is never brought down - it's called the God Flag and its a signal to people that if you need food or shelter, you can go there and be taken care of. I have a picture of it. You can't see it right now.
In the morning we were received by their High Holy Man and we were offered prayers. The Tribal Elders then offered American Indian prayers, and the Buddhist Elders offered prayers in Japanese. It's hard to forget you are on a spiritual journey when you are in circle and in prayer at least three times a day, and many times in different languages and in different settings. It's all such a gift.
Hope to get those pictures to you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Schwest.
Just dropping you a quick note to say hello and to wish you a good time on your journey. Thanks for keeping up with the posting.
Love, Bruder.