Thursday, February 28, 2008

singing


You know (oh...hi, by the way..it's been awhile hasn't it?) - one of the many cool things about being on this journey is all of the music that I have been introduced to. In every town we visit, we are usually greeted by representatives of the local tribe and very often they sing a song for us. This is Six Bears. He was singing to us while we were visiting the home of Cindy and Bear Alexander (the place where I got to have a jacuzzi). He had a beautiful voice and was very passionate in sharing his songs.


Sometimes the songs involve the drum. This is a crappy picture of some of the drummers. I love hearing the drummers - the voices sound to me like they are coming straight out of the earth. I've heard that the drum represents the heartbeat. I'm sure it has other meanings as well. I've learned that every nation, every tribe has their own songs. They can be welcoming songs, honoring songs, bear songs, tree songs. I don't know the language, but I can feel the love in these songs. All of these people are keeping their ancient songs alive, as well as writing new ones. One of our elders said the other night that all of our ancestors had the drum and the voice..and for the most part, many of us had lost that part of our world. These folks are continuing to keep theirs alive...I can't tell you how honored I am to witness it.

No comments: