Thursday, February 28, 2008

feathers



I was given a beautiful gift last week. One of the men I met in Fresno is part of a Wellbriety group. Their work helps incarcerated men find their ways into the rooms of recovery after they are released. We had a really nice conversation and in the end he gave me a gift of these feathers. They are Red-Tailed Hawk feathers that he has been carrying for a long time. He asked if I would take them and carry them across the country - remembering all of my brothers and sisters in recovery. I have them on a eucalyptus tree limb that I carry as a staff. The wood came from a tree on the land where the feathers were given to me. I was pretty overwhelmed by the gift. Receiving feathers is a great honor - I carry them proudly when I walk with them.

No comments: