Saturday, January 26, 2008

"pretty impressive" (if I says so myself)


You know, I'd be the first to say I don't have a huge cache of skills at hand - but there are a few things I've been able to tuck in my belt over the years.
For instance:
I do pretty well with a softball bat.
I can, without much fuss, organize and prepare a menu for 50-500 people.
I shoot a decent game of pool.
And damn if I don't know how to pack a storage unit.

I don't know that I'm preternaturally good at it. I think, as with many talents, these types of skills are born of necessity. Yes, I'm a packrat and I move around a lot, so there's that. But I think I really learned how to do this sort of thing through my work as a caterer and having to pack my truck with boxes of food.
When I worked as the kitchen coordinator down in Mendocino with the science camp, I had to drive out and get the order for the week's menu. It was a long drive and the whole time = money thing really played there. I didn't want to have to endure the dreaded "second trip," so I learned how to pack my truck with the tightness and efficiency of a Rubik's cube. And then of course during my 4 years at Sisters, I was in charge of picking up the Food Bank order at least a couple of times a month.
But I do have to give credit where it's due. Even the most skilled packer (me) wouldn't be able to rock a 5x5x8 storage unit this well without the invention of the stout and sturdy milk crate. So here's a shout out to the makers of these wonders, and for how readily they have fallen into my hands. Bless you milk crate people, I salute you for your wisdom and generosity; and for the ease in which I was able to box and stack my worldy goods away.
There it is - my life in a plywood box. Be well.

No comments: