Thursday, January 24, 2008

bye bye mansfields!

No, this isn't a frozen wind-up doll...



...it's Hank! It's a hysterical picture of him - it looks like you could just tap him and he would start moving around in herky-jerky animation. And it would be believable, 'cause he's four and that's pretty much how he moves. The sound effects would be truck noises.



So the Mansfields and I bid adieu today. In a weird bit of timing I am saying goodbye to them first as they take off for several weeks down south. I've been in this house for over 2 years - the longest I've been anywhere for quite some time..and definitely the longest I've ever lived in community. It's been a blessing for me to be here and surprising that I've lasted this long given my history of lonerdom.

A couple of years ago I was living in a crappy apartment, paying way too much rent and having to do my laundry in a coin machine. I decided to look for a community house, but it took me months to find a suitable fit. I cruised craigslist, looking for that perfect combination of quiet and comfort - I had a list of absolutes - no children, no couples, had to be able to have pets, and it had to be quiet.

So, I don't know what god or goddess was having a laugh when I became curious about an ad from a guy who was renting a room in the house he shared with his wife, 18 month old child and a female punk rock drummer housemate. "Perfect!" I said - and made an appointment to interview.

Oddly enough it's been a really good fit - I've learned a lot, enjoyed the company of our strange little family and learned some tolerance for a lively scene. Which should be helpful as I prepare to live with a couple hundred people for the next five months.

Shit. Really?

Thank you Sharron, Henry and Hank for two-plus years of making me part of your family, much love to all! Oh, and don't worry too much about the party I'm throwing in your absence - I'll make sure at least one person stays sober to keep an eye on things.

No comments: