Wednesday, January 16, 2008

mill valley



So folks, this is where I lived when I went to High School here in Mill Valley (the top story apartment). It's beautiful, as you can see - Burt was born in this neighborhood, which is just off one of the main streets and down a little alleyway. We had moved over here from Berkeley when I was a sophomore in 1981 - the business was just starting to take off - it was an exciting time. (I was a sullen teenager and didn't want to move from Berkeley, but that's another story)

At this time, in the early 80's, Mill Valley was just starting to emerge from a sort of San Francisco bohemian bedroom community. Now it's completely ritzed out and for me has lost all of its charm. I used to feel quite at home here. But now most of my old haunts are gone, turned into fancy boutiques and french bakeries. Even the venerable Sweetwater Saloon, where folks like Bonnie Raitt would show up to try out new stuff, closed last year. As a teenager I would stand outside and talk to the doorman, trying to charm my way in - no dice, but I could still listen to the music from the street.

At least the park has been untouched. This is the remains of the Old Mill - one of the first saw mills in Northern California - for better or worse, this is where a lot of the redwood logging took place 'back in the day' and the lumber would be shipped across the bay to the City.

As teenagers, we hung out at this spot for hours. My best friend Susi lived up the Dipsea Stairs, which are right on the other side of the park..Lars lived in the neighborhood too..and we would meet here frequently. The best part of this park, other than the sweet little creek, is all of the bay trees. Today I walked through and picked up the fallen leaves, crunching them in my hand, releasing that wonderful, spicy smell - I forgot to grab a few extra leaves to pulverize in my pocket.




For all of the drama that takes place in our teenage years. I'm grateful I had such beautiful settings to muse about it all.

No comments: