Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Window Rock, AZ to Chaco Rio, NM

This was a short day for the walkers, thanks to our runners covering over 80 miles for us. We were heading to the Dooda Desert Rock music festival. I have since learned that “Dooda” is Navajo for “No.” - As in NO Desert Rock! This being the name for the proposed energy plant project being developed by Sithe Global. Heloise Brown, who organized this festival, has been fighting this project with her family for a couple of years now. The proposed site sits on land only about 20 miles from her home, and less than 5 miles from the home of her aunt. For more information on how to help Heloise, please check out www.dooda-desert-rock.net

The walkers were dropped off about 9 miles from where the music festival was taking place. I have to say, it was quite a sight to come over this little hill and see a long road stretched out in in front of us, and this scene of stage and busses off in the distance...in the middle of the desert with nothing anywhere else for miles on end. It was a surreal.

As we neared our campground, Heloise stopped us and pointed off to a spot in the south. “You see where those cows are? Near that place is the burial grounds for my grandmother and my grandmother. My little niece is also buried there. This is sacred land to us.”

We had a moment of silence for Heloise's relatives and continued on. As we got closer to our grounds, we saw the teepees raised where there would be ceremony later that night. People began streaming down the hill to join us, and clapping and cheering from up in the parking area. As we crested the hill near the stage I was deeply moved by a woman who was standing there and sobbing at our arrival. I found out later that this was Heloise's mother, Betty who was overjoyed that the walk had come to their fight. I have seen people cry at our arrival, and it always touches me, though I had never before seen such a display as from this woman. She hugged the walkers as they entered the circle, giving thanks.

I am so thankful to be part of something that moves people in this way, and it strengthens my resolve every time to walk in a good way – and to carry these prayers for these beautifu people. And I know I am not alone in that sentiment, not by a long shot.

Our walking day was over – but our time at Chaco Rio was just starting!

No comments: