Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dumas, Texas



After Kathleen and I finished playing hooky for the morning (kind of, not really) -- after tea and burritos and computer time, etc...we found the walkers and did our lunch duty (well, Kathleen did, I helped P.J. put bolts onto the trailer). And then...we headed across the border and into Texas.



People seem to have this shivering aversion to Texas...I have to say people so far have been nothing but friendly to us. We had a pretty darned good BBQ dinner and then walked around the neighborhoods for awhile, trying to move the dinner around a little bit.



I'm sure there are many good things that have come out of Texas...I know three of my favorite celebrity types came out of here: Molly Ivins, the late, great political writer and humorist.

Lyle Lovett

and, of course...Renee O'Connor.

Yay for Texas for them. Anyone else y'all can think of?

Anyway, we made our way back to camp...watched a stunning sunset atop the passing railroad cars and fell asleep in a city park next to the thruway. It was really pretty okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are glad you enjoyed our small town on the north plains of Texas. About 13,000 friendly folks and a few ole soreheads.

Texas is the home state of course of the Pres. Bush's and Pres. LBJ, Pres. and Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, actors Tommy Lee Jones, Carol Burnett,Tex Ritter, Sissy Spacek, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, Buddy Holly, Ray Orbison, Bob Wills, ZZ Top, and most importantly, Roger Staubauch and coach Tom Landry, the greatest Dallas Cowboys of all time. Just to name a few. Come back and see us the second week of June for Dogie Days town celebration and BBQ in the park!

Anonymous said...

How about...
The late Governor Ann Richards (god bless her soul) and her best friend the late Senator Barbara Jordan, the first black woman to serve in the U.S Congress from the South.
Those ol' gals were two forces to be reckoned with.
Can't forget Stevie Ray Vaughan either.
Farrah Fawcett? I can think of some other randome ones, but those are my favorites.
And just for the record you must be born in Texas in order to claim the appropriate title "Texan".
We take it very seriously! I was just back home in the Hill Country visiting my folks. I hope you are well. We miss you - I love your pics. Take care! Christi