Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Heading into Texas



Good Morning All -

Kathleen and I are sitting outside the Clayton Chamber of Commerce. For this tiny 1800 person town, the Chamber of Commerce offers a 24 hour WIFI hotspot outside the door - signs advertising that fact all the way through town, so we had to come check it out. They weren't foolin' so here's a little hello to y'all before we head on out.

We'll be in Dumas, Texas tonight. Amarillo tomorrow and we'll be scooting into Oklahoma in a few days.

I'm tired this morning. Went to bed too late last night and had to be up at 3:00 this morning so I could make my kitchen shift. Kathleen and I are still on kitchen crew and will be serving lunch to the walkers in about an hour or so. We are also driving a trailer, which needed some bolts, so we came into town to the hardware store to pick that up. Kathleen made a couple of phone calls. I, surprisingly fell asleep .. even after 3 cups of tea. So...sleepy. I think after we serve lunch we will head out to the next camp, which is about 80 miles away..on the way we can check on our runners who are out there on the road covering all those miles.

One other thing that Clayton has to offer, other than WIFI - super sweet park rangers and generally nice people, is a pretty decent coffee shop. And they were also serving up made to order breakfast burritos.Never seen that in an espresso joint before...and they were tasty...man. So good. Maybe that's why I fell asleep....hmmmmmmm.



Here's a picture from last night, this is P.J. on the left and Sunshine on the right, doing a little jamming during the sunset...it was a nice moment. I like hearing both of them play together, P.J. gets a nice beat going on the the hand drum and Sunshine has a beautiful voice and plays lovely, loving Sunshiney kind of music. What a nice, nice young man he is. We are blessed to have him with us. And it was nice to see P.J. relax and enjoy the music moment...probably because he's excited that his wife is coming home tomorrow after being gone for about three weeks...yep, our dear, dear friend Carrie (and P.J.'s partner) is coming home tomorrow!!!! So exciting, so looking forward to having our sweet friend back. We've missed her tremendously -- she flies in tomorrow...but it's likely won't see her until Thursday as I'm sure her husband would like a little time with her before she lands back into our fray.




Equally exciting news is that I found out a couple of days ago that I get to represent the Walk at a benefit concert happening in L.A. on May 10th. Why is this so exciting? 'Cause the Indigo Girls are playing this concert. I think gwen told me about that awhile ago and I've been kind of biding my time to ask if I could go. Luckily Tashina was with us for a couple of days and Kathleen pushed me to just ask her in person. So...I did, and she said yes and so there you go. So, Joe...if you are reading this, I mentioned you as well, so try to make that happen so we can be there together aye?

So, we'll be in Tulsa right before the show, I'll be flying out of there for a night or two and then heading back. I don't know what being a rep means at this point..but I'll be available to do whatever. Pretty excited 'bout that.

Okay...we need to get moving so I'm gonna go here. Love you all - sure I'll have some access to the Internet in Amarillo - supposedly there is a lot happening there for us... we shall see. I can't believe it's nearing the end of April already.

Okey doke -- talk to ya later. Keep those comments and emails coming.You can't believe how much joy I get from a little personal email or comment. Brings me home for a second and that's not a bad thing.

1 comment:

Spadoman said...

Hey Nik, Cool! You get to represent the walk in LA. I e-mailed Dennis last week and told him that I couldn't do it and shouldn't do it because i have been away from the walk. I cited to him the wonderful job you are doing on your blog and on the longest walk site. (And i mean it, you are doing it great justice. I am so sad i missed the Navajo part. Your descriptions were fabulous and I wanted to be there)

Anyway, I told him I thought he needed to send you. I'll look into being out in LA arriving on Friday the 9th,(The 10th is my birthday). I'd love to meet you out there. I have a car and a place to stay as well if you need any of that. I'll see what I can do. But if i don't, we'll touch base whenever it happens. Glad you are getting to go to the concert. In all humility, I am glad Dennis acted on my suggestion.

Say hello to all my friends. I'm still coughing and returning to the doctor next week. Call me one of these days, and send me your e-mail addy.

Peace to All.