Friday, March 7, 2008

random




Here are a few random photos – this first one is of Mikano Shonin – our elder monk – this was taken at a rest stop.
This second one is of a woman from the Fort Mohave Indian Reservation. We were visited by many members of the Tribe last night as they came to honor us with songs and dancing. The songs of this region are so beautiful. They use gourd rattles instead of drums, so it's a softer sound, and the melodies are just sweet.
This third one shows Dennis and Bonita Leonard on his right – who is from the Warm Springs Res in Oregon and is the President of the Portland AIM chapter. I will write more about her at some point – I think she is going to be quite the leader some day, and is already getting started. When Dennis talks about turning leadership over to the youth, this is who he is talking about.
Anyway, they are singing the AIM theme song. It's a song we sing a lot, but it was only last night that I learned where it came from. I didn't catch all the details, but this is what I grasped.
Back in the early 70's a young man named Raymond _____ was beaten to death by local police. The investigation came back saying he “died of exposure.” But the local tribe knew differently and hired their own pathologist from St. Paul, MN. They exhumed the body and that investigation found that Raymond had indeed been tortured and murdered.
When they were reburying his body (Dennis was there) – a young Cheyenne man began singing this song – and AIM adopted it as their theme song. I wish I had the time and know how to download it for you so you can hear it. It's a beautiful song, and I'm so glad I know the meaning behind what I'm singing – it's now so much more powerful.

No comments: