Saturday, March 22, 2008

hello from Flagstaff Library!

Just a brief howdy while I'm checking email here at the library. Kathleen and I rejoined the group yesterday - it was so nice to see everyone!
We got to watch the walkers come in and circle up outside the Flagstaff City Hall. After a nearly two hour press conference we headed to our camp spot for the night - an elementary school near town. I slept in a hallway. Well, we all slept in the hallways.
It was the first night I slept inside (motels not counting) - I hated it - but we aren't allowed to camp outside here in Flagstaff (anti-camping ordinance - blast those homeless people anyway for wanting to sleep!). We found a relatively dark and quiet hallway, but it was by the showers - so it was busy until probably midnight.
Oh, and in my absence my sleeping pad went missing; so, good thing the floor was carpeted and I had my wool blanket to sleep on. It was fine really....you know the Japanese people sleep on pretty much nothing - like this little thin piece of something that might as well be tinfoil. My friend Aiko told me that "this is normal for sleeping for Japanese people." So...I just pretended I was Japanese for the night and all was well.
I'll be joining them it looks like, for a 3 day trip up to Big Mountain with the Dine Tribe. The tribe has invited all of the Japanese people up to learn about what's going on for them; and Jun-san invited me..so I think I'll head out. It might be good to take some time away anyhow...I haven't decided fully yet..but if you don't hear from me for a few days..that's why.
Okay - need to go run some errands - have a meeting at noon and then I'm driving out to Sedona with Kathleen to say farewell to our good friend Joe who is taking some time off the walk.
Talk to y'all soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Schwest! Happy Oestern to you.

That is a major bummer about your sleeping pad. Was it a ridgerest type of pad or a fancier thermarest air mattress? Or none of the above? A similar thing happened to me up in the Black Rock Desert. I was there for a kind of odd private rocket launch event (not for burning man) and while I was ferrying things over to my tent, somebody lifted my SLEEPING BAG!!!!! Grrrrr. Probably some dude in a cap'n kirk polyester T. I had to put on all the shirts and fleeces I brought with me and curl up in the corner of my tent. That was a cold night. And I didn't handle it so well as you seem to be. I was growlin' and harumpin' all night. I hope that a scorpion crawled into that sleeping bag of mine and stung the arse of whomever tried to take comfort in it. OK, I'm over it. Anyway, I hope you're having fun out there. If you let me know where you're going to be, maybe I can send you another sleeping pad.

Take care Schwest!
Dein Bruder.

Spadoman said...

I'm home in Ashland. I still cough. I miss all of you very much. I WILL see you again, I just don't know when right now. Keep in touch and keep writing here on the blog so I can see what's going on from home.

Peace and love to each and every one of you.

Spadoman