Friday, March 7, 2008

motown morning


The quiet of 5am in the desert is something everyone should get to experience. I almost took a picture of what I popped out of my tent to, but it wouldn't have done it justice.
The moon blazed an ivory crescent, though the entire face was still visible in shadow. It was floating there in a dark ink blue sky – just cresting over our surrounding small mountains. The sky above was still covered in starlight without any surrounding city lights to dim them.
Everything was so still and then I heard the slow beating of the monk's drums as they started their morning prayer chants.
Nothing else to say to that.

But then..about an hour later the bus started rocking out motown and and as I was walking up to get my tea I saw Jun-san gettin' down to the funky beats, dancing with Wounded and Henry, the other Elders.
I was standing by the fire and Jun-san came up and stood next to me. Everyone was still kind of moving to the music. She turned to me and said in her Japanese accent, “This is music for strip clubs in Japan.”
What was that?
She started talking to Wako – our translator, in Japanese and I watched as Wako's eyes got wide and then she actally took a step back as if she's been pushed.
“Okay, you are not going to believe what Jun-san just told me.” And Jun-san is just kind of bopping along, “She said, she used to be a dancer in the strip clubs in Tokyo.”
Jun-san turned to me and said, “It no big thing. You take off cloth, one at time and just dance.” And then the Temptations came on and she was off again.

No comments: