Sunday, March 9, 2008

no pictures - just info

Hey guys - we are camping outside an American Legion Hall here. It's about 7:30 and I am soooo ready for bed! I have been fighting a little bug (pretty darn successfully I might add), but it wipes me out. I've decided that I will take my leadership from the Japanese and unless I am deathly ill, I continue to walk - it seems to help. I just drink lots of water with my Grapefruit Seed Extract in it, eat lots of fruit and try to get good rest and I haven't been totally wiped out yet.
But, we did 12 miles uphill today and that was pretty trying. It took my body about 3 hours it seemed like just to get the muscles used to the new stride. It also seems like, oddly, the lead group moves faster when we are climbing, so I had to do quite a bit of jogging to keep up.
I always try to stay up front - the energy is stronger behind the Eagle Staff and the drummers - there is much less chatter and more focused prayer and intention, so it seems to just carry us through. So, by the time we reached the summit - like 5 hours into our day, I had been trucking along pretty good. From there it was just 2.5 miles downhill and to the end of our day.
Probably the highlight of my day was getting to talk to Aiko for a little while. She's from Japan an speaks just enough broken English that we can have pretty good conversations - and she's really very funny. We had a fun talk about Winnie the Pooh, which she just read a couple of years ago translated into Japanese. We had less success with me trying to explain the Cat in the Hat...which she had never heard of. How do you describe Thing 1 and Thing 2?

No comments: