Monday, March 17, 2008

Havasupai Falls - best Campground. Ever.



I don't know how I've never heard about Havasupai Falls - or the Supai Tribe that lives in the canyon - so it all kind of took me by surprise to come strolling into this little town.
Unfortunately, despite my not wanting to be sick in the canyon..I was. I started taking antibiotics for my bronchitis; which really did nothing but make me feel ill and lethargic. I have since stopped taking them - but I didn't get to do too much with the group while we were there and I missed all of the cultural activities. So, all I know about the Havasupai at this point is that their name means People of the Blue Green Waters.
I spent the entire day on Saturday in this location, overlooking Mooney Falls. This was actually our campsite for the night. Unbelievable. Kathleen's brother-in-law was visiting and staked this spot out for us -- amazing isn't it? Unfortunately, my camera got dusted out so I have no actual picture of Mooney Falls, so you will have to take my word for the spectacularness of it. If I was able to hike down to the bottom I, I could have walked six miles downriver to the Colorado. But..I didn't. Next time.


Getting all of us down there was quite the feat in itself. The tribe actually uses helicopters as well as horses to ferry people and cargo down there. god we have a lot of crap. And we didn't even bring ALL of our gear with us. Kathleen and I elected to share a tent, but in the end it got lost in the shuffle of baggage at 5:00 that morning, so we slept out - which was totally fine. What wasn't fine was that her sister and nephew's sleeping bags also got lost..so the two guys, her brother Johnny and brother-in-law Fritz elected to sleep without bags and had quite the cold night. It all got sorted out eventually.
The campground itself was 2 miles away from the village - so that lended itself to a series of communication issues that kind of marred our stay, but I kept coming back to ...but we're at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!
We hiked out on Sunday..and it surprisingly only took us 4 hours. We were trucking. We hiked out as a full group though which usually keeps our pace brisk. I was lucky enough to be able to drum the whole walk, which keeps me focused. By the time we reached the top we had actually beaten the helicopters in which the Elders were arriving on. And it was snowing which was unexpected. I'm learning to just go with that stuff though. Some days are better than others.

No comments: