Saturday, May 3, 2008

Canton, OK -- Land of Enchantmnent


I'll start off by saying that I am well aware that there are much worse places to spend six days than in Canton, Oklahoma. Much worse. It's actually lovely here, as far as the scenery goes. The people have been mostly pleasant, aside from the blatant stares and double and triple takes we have gotten in this small town from a few folks. And there is the lake, which I think has saved me from certain emotional disintegration.
We have camped out here a couple of nights, just to get away from the dynamic that exists at camp whenever we are stuck in one place for too long. Plus, our campground is smack in the center of town (which is really only one block long), so we are constantly being driven by...just for folks to have a look.
Our tents are corraled by this 3 foot chain link fence, so there is a petting zoo quality to our little spectacle. It's unnerving...I'm much happier down here, watching ospreys and being delighted by seeing cardinals flitting about.
This will be our last night in Canton. I'm sorry I haven't posted more...I've had wireless access...honestly, there has been nothing to write about.
Here are the highlights from my week here in Canton:
Canton Lake – we have gotten to swim here on a couple of occasions; we were also privy to a glorious sunset one night (here's Jen and Kathleen...one of me to appease my Dad)).

Here's Kathleen and Tucker, love this picture.



And here's a pic of this bugger of a squirrel = least scared-of-humans squirrel ever. I've never heard Kathleen raise her voice before this little $*%&$ got into the pecans. “I'm going to eat you!” then there was the sort of mumbling tirade; “I am, I'm going to build a fire and make a spit....”

The Mexican food place where you can get a combo dinner (which includes rice, beans and macaroni and cheese ???) for 5-6 bucks. Minus of this place is the open mouth stares we get)
* Duckwalds General Store – wireless access right there in front of it. Minus being the open mouthed stares and occasional lewd comment from a passing teenager.
* Tiger Diner. Okay -- $1.00 hot dogs and a breakfast sandwich that has egg, cheese and sausage with a made to order biscuit for $2.50 – soooo good.

So okay, it hasn't been Barcelona...but you now..what are you gonna do. We are off tomorrow to Hennessey...heading towards Oklahoma City. Oh, and in other news, the L.A. benefit concert I was going to next week has been postponed until June7th. So...there' that.

Oh – probably the best thing about this week has got to be the visit we got from Joe Spado!! And we got to meet hi wife Barb! We met at the Tiger Diner and caught him up on all the gossip of camp – we get to have him in town for until Monday and that is a beautiful thing.

See y'all later – we are nearing the halfway point here – 10 weeks left on this crazy boat ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me smile to see a picture of Jen and Kathleen and you taken at sunset over water,my favorite time of day.
Hope the camping settings improve as you cross Okkkk------lahoma.

Jen's Mom