Saturday, May 24, 2008

Quick! Get some pictures up before we get kicked out of the room!

Okay, now I have a little time to write some captions to these photos so they have some context. I'm hoping to get some photos from Carrie as well, 'cause she takes excellent shots and she spent a lot more time in New Orleans than I was.

Anyhoo -- one of the coolest things about being in New Orleans was seeing and catching up with many old friends from the walk, many of whom we last saw at Navajo Technical College in New Mexico. We got into town late at night and were able to get ahold of Wade and Mary who are living there and working with Felipe. We ended up camping at Felipe's place near the French Quarter that night and they made us a nice breakfast the next morning. Here is (from left to right): Wako, who just recently rejoined our group, Joe Spado, who also returned last week to our absolute joy, "Cousin" who works with Felipe, Kathleen, Mary and new walker Kira (sp?). What a lovely scene.



I took this picture for my friend Chaela. Apparantly, the guy who ones the house we were staying at, loves all the neighborhood kitties -- there are about 17 of them who eat out of these bowls.



Saw this photo op on an early morning stroll around the neighborhood in someone's window.



Here's one for the Perillat's



Here is Felipe and his friend Lynn and some other woman who I can't remember her name.




Felipe and Joe Spado having a deep discussion. Joe taught us the Joe Spado song the other day and we sang it that morning. It goes to the tune of the Davy Crockett theme song, "Joey - Joey Spado - he's a real nice guy." It's addicting to sing.


Here's Camp Felipe. I slept on that bench in the foreground. It was SO hot and muggy there in town...but it was also a mosquito haven so I had to actually be in my bag all night - which was like sleeping in a steam bath. But, it was really my own stubborness because I had the choice of being in the big tent or inside...but I like my own space. Hence...bitten all night long.



Awwwwww -- man have I missed Wade. His smile and his laugh and just his passion for life and living a right path. It was so great to see him. I heard he and Mary are planning to head out West in awhile which excites me - 'cause their location is close enough that I would be able to visit from time to time. Yay for that.



Here's a little sculpture scene from the French Quarter.



Here's the Mississippi River - it's not a great photo, but it had to be taken.


Some random photos from the French Quarter. Spot the truck! Kathleen talked about Cafe Du Monde for weeks - and so it was cool to finally get to see it. I actually drank coffee just to say that I did. It was very tasty...chickory I think. The place was packed all the time and they had this little tiny bathroom where, when you waited in line you could watch the kitchen madly at work. All this place served was coffee and beignets - kinda like French donuts with boatloads of powdered sugar on them. There was this huge vat of powdered sugar that they would dip into and pour onto the plate of donuty things. It was kind of intense watching them. It was hot in there - pretty tough work I imagine.







Okey doke, that's it for now. I have some more photos I'm gonna try to post here in a second.

No comments: