Friday, May 23, 2008

Donaldsonville, Louisiana - the beautiful people of...

We had kind of a crazy entry into Donaldsonville, located about 30 miles south of Baton Rouge. I won't even get into it here - but once we landed I was immediately impressed with the kindness of the folks who greeted us and treated us to their community center and facility; as well as cooked us an amazing jambalaya meal. I told the cook afterwards that I had eaten jambalaya before...but I had never really had it until I had his dish. Man it was tasty.

It's hot down here. Hot and muggy. We took a shower and two minutes later were ready for another one. So there's the mugginess and the damn mosquitoes, "the state bird" as they refer to them down here. I have never been so chewed on in my life. I don't remember mosquitoes ever affecting me this badly before. Yikes. Then there are the chiggers and the ticks and the maneating alligators...but boy is Louisiana a beautiful state.

In the morning Kathleen, Carrie and I were doing are kitchen duty. Somehow our kitchen trailer got left behind in Baton Rouge and by the time it was noticed missing it had been locked behind a gate at the museum. So we had no food and had to run out and purchase a bunch of PBJ fixin's for the walker's lunch.

While we were there we had a most excellent chat with these two gentleman: That's Lincoln Moore on the left, the Assistant Mayor of Donaldsonville. Lincoln is a former Forest Service employee and worked in the Clinton Administration as well. On the right is Norman (Nick) Nicholas who works for the City of Donaldsonville and is as sweet a soul as anyone can meet. In the time we were there that morning they had gotten us ice, milk, water donations and some spray paint that we use to mark the start and end points for the runners. We just had some all around pleasant conversation with these folks and secured the fact for me that the best thing about this walk is meeting the people in all of these towns we pass through.



We also met Donna Schexnaydres, who is married to Councilmember Kent. Together they run a bed and breakfast in town, The Victorian on the Avenue. They are working to help revitalize business in town that slackened off once the interstate was put it...the common theme in the downslide of local commerce. We talked a little bit about Katrina and she told us that many people in town helped house victims of that tragedy. She was on her way to the local television station to do an interview about her experience with the walkers. She helped make the food and hospitality happen for us in Donaldsonville and if I ever get back here to Louisiana I will definitely make a point to spend a little more time in this sweet little town. Thank you Donaldsonville!!

No comments: