Friday, May 23, 2008

Interview with one of my favorite Walkers, Ray Muckuk

Hey guys, here's an interview I did with Ray last week. I just sent it to the longest walk website and thought I'd post it here too. Like I said earlier today...pictures to follow later.

Raymond Muckuk Interview

Whenever we get new walkers and they are introduced into the circle, if Dennis is present he will ask them, “and how far are you going!” and I remember when Ray said, “all the way!” Ever since then we’ve called him “All the Way Ray” – or we’ll just refer to him as “All the Way.” It’s a little corny, but it works.

Ray is one of our strongest walkers. He is always out there on the road, either walking or running. He comes from Ontario, Canada and is Ojibwa, “from the Old World.” He now lives in Minnesota where he worked at a homeless shelter before joining the walk. He is quiet and thoughtful and when he speaks, which isn’t often in a group, he is one of those guys who is worth listening to. I should say though, that one on one…the man can talk. With his strong Canadian accent and his methodical way of talking, he can be very hypnotic to listen to…in a good way. I was in the car as part of the running team when we picked him up after he had just finished 15 miles. He had plenty to talk about. Here’s a little interview we did with him. With us was walker/runner Kathleen Perillat who also had a few questions for him.

NJ: Okay, here we go. How did you find out about the walk?
RM: Through a friend one or two days before it started. I quit my job where I was doing security and medical support for the shelter and went to Alcatraz. I thought it would be a good way to discover America and I wanted to go on foot. For me, I’m just learning the cause (of the walk) as I’m going along.

NJ: You are always working out. Even at rest stops we see you doing push ups, how many are you up to a day now?
RM: An easy 500

NJ: Have you always been so physically inclined?
RM: Basically I grew up like that. I want to be physically and mentally ready all the time.

NJ: What’s the longest run you’ve done so far?
RM: 18 miles was the longest stretch. They started giving me 15 miles now. 5 (miles) wasn’t a challenge anymore, or 10 – but, you know…I don’t want to sound arrogant or nothing there.

NJ: How is the walk going for you?
RM: Me, I’ve been accustomed to the chaotic life. I’m a chaotic kind of guy – it don’t bother me, the whining and the crying. For me, I recognize authority and I do what he says. And it doesn’t matter if I like him or I don’t like him; I honor and respect him. I listen to my boss and work to accomplish what he’s doing about the environment.

NJ: Just want to clarify. Who are you referring to?
RM: Mr. Banks

NJ: Thank you. Has anything surprised you so far about the walk?|
RM: I’ve been really surprised with all of the support we’ve been getting (from the communities). It’s a real blessing to be seeing all of that.

NJ: Did you know much about Native issues down here in the states; being from Canada?
RM: I’ve been aware of some of the issues since I came down here in 2006.

NJ: Can you tell me some more about what you’ve learned here?
RM: I guess a lot of it is a spirituality of heart. It’s amazing how everybody tries to reach for whatever they’re after…when it’s really easy to see whose doing it all. You know I appreciate and respect what they (the walk) are doing for me.

At this point Kathleen asked Ray a few questions.

KP: Are you still glad you are here?
RM: Oh I love the challenge and the people that I get to meet. And to break the walls that I’ve been trapped in and to come out and see the real world.

KP: Ever thought of leaving the walk?
RM: Yeah, I get my days. But I always try to understand why I am going through that wall again and try to face it and finish it. It’s been an experience for me to get out of that frame of thinking. Where I get to thinking that everybody is against me.

KP: And you don’t still believe that do you?
RM: Now that I’ve come to believe; so many doors have been opened to me that I know I can succeed in anything I want to do.

KP: Is there one person you’re really glad you’ve met?
RM: (long pause). That’s a really hard one because I enjoy everybody’s company. It’s hard to say because I like all of them. I can’t decide on one only. Why not go out there and experience everybody; where they are from and what they do.

KP: What do you like better, running or walking?
RM: Doesn’t matter

KP: Do you like port-a-potties?
RM: (smiles) That…I have to say yes. It beats going out there in the woods.

KP: Do you still like setting up your tent?
RM: Not really – but I have to do it.

KP: What’s the first thing you want to do in D.C.?
RM: I live for today only. What if the world gets bombed tomorrow? I don’t want to live that far ahead. That’s the challenge, to get by today only, ‘cause I don’t know what tomorrow holds. But the plan is a different thing. I can plan it.

NJ: What are you missing from home?
RM: Being away from home, ever since I was a kid. I knew the dangers of family. I love my family and that’s all they need to know.

NJ: Any favorite treats?
RM: Sugar, I guess. You know I live and hunt for survival, and I have to know how to live in a city too so I can do both. Live in the woods and survive in the city. I was born in the wilderness. Not in a hospital.

KP: If you were interviewing someone, what sort of question would you ask them?
RM: That’s a good question. I don’t know, ‘cause half of the time they would bullshit me if I ask them; so why not see them live it out so I can see if they’re serious about what they are doing. Then I’ll ask them.

NJ: Thanks so much Ray.
RM: Anytime. Make sure I look good for the ladies.

No comments: