Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The excitement is killin me!




So this was the day that we finally got to walk in D.C....no wait...that's tomorrow. Today is a good old rest day...exciting for Kathleen 'cause her momma was flying into town in the afternoon. But for the rest of us...I don't even really have any exciting pictures to show you 'cause we didn't really do anything.

In fact...a slight tragedy occurred in the morning because for the first time that I can remember, we didn't have any fuel for the camp stove. No fuel meant no hot water. And no hot water meant...no coffee...no tea.

It's not like we didn't look for it. I have never had such a hard time finding camp fuel, but there we were. I did wander down to Joe Spado's tent to see if I could scrounge up a couple of cups. Luckily, they were on it and generous, bringing a thermos over to stave off the crankiness. We vowed to start a fire the next morning and just heat it up the old fashioned way if we couldn't find any stove fuel.

Here's a couple of shots of the truck getting cleaned out. That's really as much excitement as we could tolerate it seems. Here's Kathleen finally getting rid of some mayonnaise.


Check out the fast paced action of this photo.



We took a run into town to pick-up coffees and some cheap fast food for the group. And to look for fuel, and maps and tobacco. Something else too I think. Diet Coke for Jen was probably on that list.

We ran around, a little lost for a bit...ended up missing the 11:00 breakfast meals and had to bring home dollar hamburgers once again. We didn't find camp fuel either blast it...but we would just have to make do. Kathleen took off after dropping me off and headed out to the airport to greet her mom and sister.

Here's a completely out of sequence photo. It's of Amy next to a truck she inadvertently hit with the bus. Her first accident out of all that driving. Dennis said it wasn't her fault, she had to maneuver around Tony's car in a really tight spot. He said she really should've just rammed Tony's car out of the way since it was worth about a dollar and the one she hit was worth...considerably more.


Anyway, back to the exciting day...

The rest of us...I think did nothing. I ended up getting a ride to the mall to try to see a movie. There was absolutely nothing playing that interested me so I just walked back to camp. It was a lovely walk through the park..listening to the ipod, some blessed alone time. And when I got back...it started to rain...hard...and I hoofed it to my tent and hunkered down. Made a phone call, I think I was talking to gwen, and when I was finished I peeked out my tent and noticed - I'm not kidding - a RIVER running straight underneath my whole scene.

They told me to move to the high ground earlier in the day, but did I listen? Noooooo I did not. So I had to act quickly, using all my river restoration skills and basically creating a diversion field...cutting off the water flowing towards me and using all these leaves and branches to pack a sort of moat around my tent. It was really quite effective. I got soaked of course in the process...but my sleeping bag was relatively dry, as was my sleeping pad on top...so it was all good.

They're gonna laugh at me in the morning. I know it.

And in the morning...we go to D.C.

No comments: