Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The short and sweet story of Tinkerbell



We were picking up trash along the side of the road and getting ready to move onto the next location when Bonita came up to me and put this little tiny kitten in my hands.
"Here..can you and Kathleen save this kitten? I found it on the side of the road."

See, this is what can happen to a seemingly normal day. The day itself already started off crappy because Kathleen realized that Tucker was missing from the truck.
Tucker's ashes, the ones in the Corazon bottle, and the one thing that, according to her, "brings me some sanity on this crazy ass walk."

So...Tucker was missing and we were biding time while we waited to call the hotel in Jackson to see if she had inadvertently left him there.

And now we have this really tiny kitten.

I need to make this story quick because I have 21 minutes of computer time and I want to get a couple more photos up.

We went down the road to see if it belonged to this farm we saw where we were picking up trash. There were houses and vehicles and chained up dogs and confederate flags and no one around at all...it was ghostly weird.

"I'm not leaving this kitten here," I said.

We went to the next town and talked to a waitress, asked her where the humane society was; she told us..but not before some local said, "yeah well, they'll kill it in nine days."

We went to a vet who, unsympathetically, gave us directions to said humane society.

I was really upset at this point because this kitten was sooooo sweet and I couldn't keep it and I wanted to...and everyone was just being so...uncaring it seemed about this sweet little thing.

So we went to the human society which was right next to a prison, and there were these prisoners in white and black striped outfits looking like they came out of a 1930's movie...and there was this god-awful trailer with these cages...and Kathleen just whipped the truck around and we were out of there.

So we went to Wal-mart.

Kathleen asked everyone she saw if they wanted a kitten and after about twenty minutes this mom pulls up with these two little girls.

"Oh, we do want a kitten!"

We thought she was joking.

"I've been promising my daughter a kitten for two months and we just haven't gotten to it yet. Sure, we'll take it."

And this little blond girl named Haley, with this thick of honey accent came bouncing over, "ohhhhhhhh she's so cute! I'm gonna name her Tinkerbell and she's gonna sleep in my bed and I just got a book from the library all about how to take care of kittens properly."

I started crying.

Hallelujah for little miracles. I tried to post a picture with the girls and the kitten -- but for some reason it's not posting, so I'll have to try again next time.
Sorry!




Oh...and P.S. - Tucker was in Jacksonville and got himself shipped back to Mom's house in New York where he's probably comfortably residing by now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a happy ending, brought a lump to my throat
See you all in a couple weeks.
hugs,
Barb Spado