Friday, June 6, 2008

The 9th Ward



The morning we were to walk through New Orleans, I needed to drive the truck onto the next location so Kathleen could walk. We do this all the time.
I was following the caravan as we turned onto Tennessee Street in the Ninth Ward and was immediately struck with...I can't even tell you what it was. A combination of heaviness, sadness and joy.
I didn't even realize where I was for a minute. I was just sort of following the other cars when I looked to my left and saw nothing but cement foundations of what used to be houses, overgrown with grass and weeds. And then it hit me what had really happened here. On my left was the levee and I just had to sit there for a minute and imagine how horrifying that levee break must've been for the people who lived here.

There are a few homes left - a handful from what was once a community. And there's a man named Robert Green, Sr. who lives here and is working tirelessly to build that community back. He was amazingly hopeful and deeply inspiring. He lost his mother to the flood and had to witness one of his grandchildren slip off a roof and to her death as well. He tried to save her, but was holding two other children at the time and just couldn't get to her.

He is a veteran, from a military family; his mother served in the Air Force for over 20 years. And he talked about his disappointment with this government and their utter lack of commitment to the rebuilding of this district. He is heartbroken but deeply resolved. He was a beautiful man to meet.

I would love to write more about him, and I will get to it down the line. But, I am pressed for time here and want to get a lot up for you folks, 'cause it could be awhile. Here's some pictures though for you.

This is Mr. Green in front of his house. There is a shrine erected there in memory of his mother and grandchild.






Here is receiving a strand of peace cranes from Kaneida Shonin.




Walkers and Mr. Green.

No comments: