Thursday, June 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Aiko Aiko!!



Just a quick acknowledgement of dear Aiko’s 31st birthday that we got to celebrate last night at Mayo Campground in Roxboro, North Carolina (our last stop in NC).

She surprised me by telling us that she was going to be leaving us for a couple of weeks. She decided to go on a solo adventure out to the ocean.

“I have had very easy time here on walk. Free food and stay. Wanted to know difficult time in traveling America.”

Brave woman. She’ll be fine. She’s so sweet that I can’t imagine anyone hassling her, and her English is actually very good if people are willing to just be a little patient and look for simpler words if she doesn’t understand. She said she has gotten better with asking people clarifying questions.

“Sometimes, I just nod and say I understand, and sometimes I don’t understand. Don’t want to annoy people.”



She was gifted with songs and little presents from all of the various communities. It was a beautiful moment of honoring this kind and sweet woman. I gave her one of my littlest feathers that I had been carrying every since Fresno. It was too small to risk putting in my hat band and so I’d been waiting for the right moment/person to gift it too. I can’t think of anyone better than Aiko.



Amy lent me a little piece of red cloth, and I had some red string and we wrapped this delicate little downy red-tail hawk feather in it. I think she liked it.

Happy Birthday Aiko. I love you!

No comments: