Friday, September 12, 2008

okey doke...as promised...here´s a few pics



Well, leave it to me to find a public library in the middle of Spain. I don´t have a lot of time to comment on these, so I´m just gonna put 'em up here and write about them later. Okay?
This one I took up on the ridge between France and Spain as I´m crossing the Pyrenees. This was taken the morning after I slept in that barn. Look how happy I am!



Oh, and these are going to be really randomly placed, ´cause I am pressed for time. Here´s my buddy Miguel. The sweetheart.

While I´m waiting for more pictures to post (it´s taking a really long time per picture) I can tell you that I am in the town of Estella, and it´s pretty bustling! I´m not in a huge hurry today, will probably only walk twelve miles. I am heading to the town of Villa Monjardin (!!!) to spend the night. It´s only about another 3 hours walk from here. I may press on to Los Arcos. We´ll see how I feel. It´s pretty windy and chilly out, so I will likely spend another night in the alburgue instead of camping.

Okay, this picture thing isn´t working very well on this computer, so this may be all you get for now. Me and Miguel.



Oop, here´s another one, this was taken outside a church in Pamplona. This statue is about 800 years old. I was talking with a German woman (new friend Victoria) and she was telling me that she thinks it´s funny that Americans are so fascinated with old things, ´cause here in Europe they´re so used to seeing them. I am fascinated with them. Think they´re cool.



Oh yay...here´s Peter and Kinga. How cute are they? Love these guys a lot. We had such a blast together, and they have got some great stories over theír travels in the world. Peter´s adventure aboard, well two adventures involving travel by train in India still have me laughing out loud when I think of them. Hope to see these guys again before I take off.



This is one of the Gaudi buildings, one of his more famous ones that I can´t remember the name of now, in Barcelona. Wild, ain´t it?

Okay, what else can I tell you? Mmmm, how about the alburgues? I´ve only stayed in three of them so far, having camped out the other nights I´ve been on the road. Some are private and have only 15 or so beds. Some are massive, with 100 beds. I will stay away from those.

Last night´s stay was actually really nice. They are cheapish, anywhere from 5-8 euros. They offer a cheapish meal for about the same price. Last night I was in a room with only 4 other people, which was great, and two of them I had dinner with, so it felt okay... oh, here´s another photo...



mmm...so, they have these signs posted for the walkers so we can know where we´re going. This one cracked me up because it´s so big...a lot of times there are just small yellow arrows painted on the ground and you have to really look for them. This one was like "HEY!! HEY THIS WAY!!"

Here´s another marker, up about nine feet on a building...this one´s more like it.



Here´s one more, you can get lost if you´re not paying attention. Do you see this one? Lots of times the locals will redirect a wayward pilgrim if they´re going the wrong way, which is right nice of ´em.



Okay...gonna have to sign off now...I´ve been here an hour and need to keep moving along. I´ll try to get more photos up for you in the next couple of days. Don´t libraries rock?

Here´s one last one...me looking out over the Pyrenees. Love you guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!!!!!! i was just sitting down at the computer wondering if u have written any new blogs... starting to worry... nah.. mom says no news is good news... and voila there is not only a new blog but photos .. and Grand ones indeed! i love the one of u overlooking the Pyrennes. lovely.. and im fascinated with Gaudi.. thanks for that one!! mom says she hasnt started to plagerize your your new blogs..... yet.. ha. take care and say Hi to spain for me! love u.. kathaleen-san

Anonymous said...

P.S. YES leave it to u to find a library in spain...

Anonymous said...

Hey, NIK!

Great pics!! Glad you found a place to send us a few. Still enjoying your adventures vicariously. And I envy you eating all that good Spanish food -- especially any kinda paella you can find!

"They sure are good, ain't they?"

"They ain't bad for waffles."

Your daily dose...

Anonymous said...

YEA...!!!!!! YIPEEEEE !!!!!!! I GOT MY NEW BUMPERSTICKER!!!!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!!! THANK U .. SHE WILL WEAR IT WELL!!!!! WHAT A FUN SURPRISE!!!!! HEY TALKED WITH KID LASTNIGHT ...FINALLY!!!! WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING PHONE TAG FOR WEEKS.. GONNA MAPQUEST TO SEE HOW FAR AWAY HE IS .. GUILFORD CONN. AND TAKE A RIDE TO VISIT HIM B 4 HE MOVES TO ASHLAND END OF OCT. CANT WAIT ..HIS VAN DIED SO I WILL DO THE DRIVE.. DID U HEAR HE GOT LYMES DISEASE FROM GREENBELT?! HOLY COW!!! TAKE CARE AND THANKS FOR THE PRESENT. MUCHOS GRACIAS... KATHLEEN-SAN