Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day six...or maybe seven

Hello all...I am getting ready to leave an alburgue here in Lorca, one of the last villages in the Basque country. The walking has been incredibly beautiful. Travelling on footpaths through gardens and farmlands; or on cobblestone paths over hills, through towns, over mountains. Yesterday I walked on a road built by Romans 2000 years ago. It´s amazing to stare down at these rocks and think about the hands that put them there.

A couple of days ago, going into Pamplona I crossed a 900 year old bridge. The bricks had these little marks in them. Some criss-crossing, some diagonal hatching. I wondered if these were put in by the brickmakers, sort of an individual marking system. I thought about the guys who laid these down, and what they might think of someone using their stones nearly 1000 years later to walk on. And what would they think of all the hustle and bustle and ipods and fancy backpacks.

Anyway, I am one sore puppy, but I am managing to walk about 12-14 miles a day. The pack has gotten a little lighter and I am getting stronger by the day. I probably won´t walk much more than 15 miles a day, ´cause I don´t really need to ... I think that´s plenty.

Anyway, need to get on the road. I´m sorry I wasn´t able to post pictures...I couldn´t find that place again in Pamplona and I needed to get the hell out of the city. It was too hot and too loud and crowded. I much prefer the quiet of these country paths.

Had dinner with a couple of fun people last night, woman from Germany (!!! Hi Jutta !!!) and a guy from Spain. We laughed a lot, mainly due to our bad Spanish. I actually spoke more Spanish than Veronica, but she speaks five languages fluently, including Persian and Croatian, so I´ve got nothing on her.

Anyway, lots and lots of love to you guys. Am taking a rest day in Burgos, about 3 days away. It´s a bigger city so maybe I can try the computer thing again.
Thanks for your sweet comment Carriefoot...and speaking of Kid, I am so glad he is moving to Ashland! A mini-reunion will have to take place!

Okey doke. I´m stalling. I´m sore. I´m having a great time.

No comments: