Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Leaving Sanilles

Peter and Kinga will be driving me across the French border tomorrow morning to Lafont du Carol where I´ll be catching a train to Toulose, and then on to St. Jean Pied-de-Port. If all goes well, I should be checking into a hostel with all the other pilgrims Thursday night, and starting my journey towards Santiago on Friday morning.

First stop is Ronscevalles, but I´ll have to cross over the Pyrenees mountain range first. It´s one of the tougher stages of the entire walk, so I´m happy I´ll be putting it behind me on the first day.

But first I leave Sanilles, which has been my home now for three weeks and I´m so grateful I was able to land here and catch my breath before heading. The quiet and the serenity of the woods and the river, the wonderful people who have become my family, all the amazing food I´ve been presented with..it´s all been such a gift.

I want to thank Hugh Coates for providing such a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Miguel for his tireless energy and patience with me. Peter and Kinga for their fast friendship and easy laughter over these days. I´ve also been fortunate to recently meet Susannah, a new volunteer here, and Alexi, who I met in my first days. Permanent residents Emilio and Juanho have also been particularly sweet.

Also want to mention my four-legged friends, el gato Justine, and los perros, Trixie and Bruna (my sentimental favorite), and Jasper, Peter and Kinga´s furry companion. The world is a sweeter place with these beings in the world.

I´ll miss my quiet nights outside the yurt with my evening cup of tea, listening to the owls wake up and chatter to each other. All the little lizards who scurry about, the flickers in the trees, the swallows and the bats; have all provided terrific company and have left me feeling not so lonely.

I have nearly 800 miles to travel over these next ten weeks. So far my body feels okay, my pack has been lightened a little bit and I´m ready to go.

I´ll be taking you all with me, my loved ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage ... and safe journey.. dont forget your calcium magnesium. ... just got off chatting with spadoman .. got him to join facebook... take care and have FUN ... love kathleen..