Saturday, November 29, 2008

Lewis "Mucaw" Jefferson (1987-2008)



I was deeply saddened tonight to hear that one of our Walker family, Mucaw, crossed over to the Spirit world. I don't know the details of his passing.
I loved hearing Mucaw sing, which he did so often, up at the front of line, his rich, baritone voice keeping time with his tin can shaker. I walked countless miles to the songs of his ancestors,from the Quechan of Arizona, songs that he sang proudly and with the utmost care and respect. Sometimes, when I heard him sing, I couldn't place that deep, soulful voice in the body of such a young man...it just seemed to come from somewhere else.
I pray that he is still singing with his ancestors and offer my prayers to his family and beloved grandparents who were so proud of him.
You will be sorely missed my friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nikki... u said it exactly right... i think i just cant believe it... we were SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to have met him... what a beautiful young man with such a lovely voice..!!! i will never forget the 4 direction walks when i got the honor of carrying the staff and getting to walk right in front of Mucaw and be with him up close and personal... i knew u would honor him with a blog.. thank u love kathleen

GeoffreyHawk said...

My eyes are wet with tears for Preston, Helena, and all who were touched by Mucaw.

Geoffrey Smith
Desert Protective Council

Anonymous said...

I did not know Mucaw but I heard about his passing. My heart is heavy because such a young aspiring leader is no longer among us. I heard about the great things that he was doing in the community. Hopefully now he suffers no longer.

V.

Xochitl said...

Helena is my grandmother and I just want to say is to just forgive. Mucaw and I never got along and I wish I could just get one chance to talk to him. He was a great man and is missed.I hate going on google is the only way I could get to know him. Mucaw you are a great man and you have a great grandfather. I love you!!!