Friday, October 17, 2008

quickie post from...god, where am I?



It´s so funny how I just lose these city names soooo quickly. I´m in Pontevedre...inching my way towards the Portuguese border, but I´ll be inching them must faster tomorrow as I am taking a bus or a train to the border town of Tui in Spain. I´ll be losing 3 days of the walk, but that´s fine...I´m ready to see another country and something came up that I want to get to...I´ll tell you about it later, plans are still in the works...but I can tell you that it´s fun fun fun!

So I go to Tui tomorrow, and walk to Porto, about 5 or 6 days. From Porto I´ll be taking a bus to Fatima to see that famous shrine. I just missed the big festival on October 13th, which is the date when Fatima first revealed herself to the three small shepherd children in 1917. I´m very much looking forward to going there.
I was going to walk there from Porto, but in talking with people who have made that journey on foot, I´ve decided to bus or train it. Apparantly the roads are quite dangerous and not set up for this sort of travel. So...won´t be doing that.




I´m pretty good. Really enjoying the serenity of this Camino. There are very few pilgrims on it, and everything is really quite mellow, including the alburgues. I´ve been having some difficulty going "backwards," as I´m having to follow all those yellow arrows from the opposite direction. You wouldn´t think this would be any more difficult than having to follow them towards Santiago instead of away from it...but it is. Can´t really explain why. Part of it I suppose is that so many fewer people are walking this trail so you can´t just hang out and wait for the next pilgrim to come by, you could be sitting there a couple of hours. One woman said that it´s psychologically more difficult to go backwards...not sure about that. But, as I´m walking I have to keep looking behind me to notice the arrows, instead of seeing them ahead, which, when you get lost in thought (which I do frequently) can lead to you being physically misplaced as well. Every once in awhile, about every tenth arrow or so, there will be one in blue, pointing towards Fatima - and I understand that once I cross border into Portugal, I shouldn´t have any problems as Fatima is the main pilgrimage destination in that country, not Santiago.
Anyway, I got lost A LOT on my first day...it was really frustrating. I got some great help from locals, including a mechanic who left his shop to drive me back to the Camino after I had wandered off it over 2 kilometers. But...oh man, here´s where my lack of Spanish is kicking my ass. Hourly.

But, today I´m getting a little better at picking up the clues as to where people are coming from and didn´t get lost once today. But yesterday I ended up walking two hours out of my way...which really sucks at the end of a day when you´re lugging all your crap around with you, you´re tired and hungry and just need to land. But...so it goes, if this is all I have to complain about...

The nice thing I suppose is that because I need to be more vigilant, I´m forced to set a slower pace and I´m beginning to really enjoy just putting my trust into something higher than myself. I´ll talk more about this later, but I can tell you that since I left Santiago my spirit has been lightened, and I´m walking these days, literally and otherwise, somehow less burdened . I dare say I´m having fun.



Anyway, my time is nearly up here. Thanks all of you who have emailed me, I can´t always write back to you personally due to the time frame, but I thank you so much. So...for Lisa and my Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, Rebecca, Matt and Amy, Big G, Carriefoot and Kathleen (thanks for those Portuguese translations by the way..you´re funny), Gwennie too. Lots of love to ALL of you and I´ll try to talk you again soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

{sung 2 the tune of Stevie Wonders Happy Birthday 2 U....}
Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday....
Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday....
Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday 2 U Happy Birthday....
Hey where is my post with all the Portuguese translations..!!!!!!??!!
Happy 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Kasaleen-San!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My friend Krishna once shared his view on birthdays with me: You know Carrie, in India you will never see a family celebrating ones birthday... They believe that everyday you celebrate and honor people... not just one day out of the year... The american people would be wise to adopt such a way of life, among other things.
Nikki-Foot,
Know that I honored and celebrate you even when its not your b-day.
Wishing you the greatest of happy birthdays!!! We miss & love you!!!

Spadoman said...

Happy Birthday. We love you and miss you. Hope all is good and we'll get to see you sometime this winter. Take care and be well.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated, belated birthday, Niki. It sounds like you had a great day. I love that people sang to you! Your travels seem so exciting. I admire you so much for doing something so interesting and life changing. I can't believe you saw the Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch!!! That is one of my all time favorite paintings. Lucky, lucky girl. Take care and be safe.
Lots of love--Amy