Tuesday, December 18, 2007

at least I got that going for me...

Today has been kind of a banner day. I got to go to the dentist and the DEQ back to back. In the end, it turned out just fine..no cavities to speak of and my 21 year old truck (which Gwen so eloquently calls, 'a piece of shit'), passed inspection with flying colors (ha! so there!). So..my little white pick-up (Oscar) will live to see the farm after all. He's going to be hanging out down on 6 acres in Humboldt and be a run-around farm truck while I'm gone. Very deserving, this city driving can be tough on old boys, especially under my rough hands.

Have successfully moved a bunch of piles right on out the door (see earlier post); and so am left with just the stuff I'll be putting into storage. I think I did good -- a huge bag of clothes along with 4 boxes of random crap went to donation sites. Probably the most exciting thing I got rid of was a collection of broken CD players (I actually had a Walkman in that pile) and other assorted broken little appliances that I was holding on to for god knows why. Those all got properly recycled. And, I was able to recycle a bunch of little camping fuel canisters that have been rolling around my closet for awhile. Happy about all that.

I've been checking out the Longest Walk website and getting filled in a little. It seems we'll be sleeping mostly in community centers, firehouses, gyms, random spots like that (or we can camp on the surrounding lands). They've been running this particular route (Sacred Run) for a few years now, so they've been setting up contacts along the way -- so that's good to know. Also, apparently the registration for walkers is full - I don't know what that means as far as how many people 'full' is..but the organizers are saying they are pretty overwhelmed with the response. Exciting.

Oh, and one more thing..

So, I'm laying back in the dentist chair this morning, getting poked and probed -- and there is a young woman sitting next to me...she's a student and she's observing the hygienist doing her thing to me...and while I'm being rinsed out, she kind of leans over and says, "you know, you have beautiful eyelashes."

It's something I suppose.

No comments: