Saturday, August 16, 2008

¡hola de españa!

¡hola everyone!

I´m here in España, at my WWOOF volunteer placement. Unfortunately I am using an absolutely dinosaur computer, there is no USB port, so I can´t download any photos right now. It´s gonna be awhile probably, but I can at least tell you that where I´m at is lovely, lovely.

I am nearest the town of Martinet, still in Spain, but very close to the French border in the Pyranees. My volunteer gig is at a place called Sanilles Cerdanya - it´s a resort of sorts...it´s an old hotel, there´s a thermal swimming pool, a good sized organic garden and trails for walking up along the hillsides or down along the creek. We don´t have a lot of guests staying in the hotel right now. I just missed a week long yoga retreat with abot 25 people.Mostly we have locals that come and use the pool and have drinks at the bar.

My job is to serve folks at the bar and prepare meals for the guests that are staying here. I also work in the garden. It´s pretty random really. It´s run by a British ex-pat and his Spanish wife. There is another volunteer here with me named Alexi, she´s from England as well and is very sweet (a freshman at College).

The language barrier is trying, but I´m getting along alright...I know it´ll get easier with time and the more I´m forced to speak it. Next week we get a volunteer who doesn´t speak any English, so that´ll help some. Working the bar is going to be great for learning how to order things myself when I´m out in the world in a couple of weeks. Right now, I´m just sort of taking it easy, eating well, relaxing and enjoying the view.

Alright then, glad to know I can post from here (yay Firefox!), so you´ll be hearing from me down the road...lots of love...have to run now and get back to work, but I was just checking my emails quickly and thought I would try blogging again.

Okay, talk to ya soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for El Blog Espanol to get underway! You're off to a good start, though, working with a Brit. Every Brit I've ever known has been fun, fun, fun. Here's hoping Alexi continues the tradition.

And if you get frustrated with Spanish, just remember the classic Chris Farley SNL episode where he plays the weather phenomenon "El Nino" -- "Spanish," he says, "for... THE NINO."

We wish you all the best on your next round of adventures!