Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Longest Walk FAQ

So -- I've been getting a lot of questions about The Longest Walk journey I'm starting in February so I thought I'd put together a little FAQ and hopefully answer some questions y'all are having. I don't have all the details yet as they are coming in bit by bit...but I'll do my best and keep ya posted when they come up. So..

1) What is it exactly?

The Longest Walk 2 is the 30th anniversary of a walk that took place in 1978. Led by the American Indian Movement, it's purpose was to bring attention to the fact that Congress was looking to repeal remaining treaty rights that kept Native American lands sovereign - the walk was able to stop that legislation from happening. It was also a peaceful and spiritual walk that aimed to educate the public about the Native American way of life.

On this anniversary walk there are three main messages:

"All things are sacred, save Mother Earth."
"All things are sacred, save sacred sites."
"All things are sacred, clean up Mother Earth."

We will bring enviromental awareness throughout our journey as well as performing the simple act of cleaning up trash and debris along the highways we walk.

2) How far are you going and where?

We will be walking 4400 miles with an average walking distance of about 20 miles per day. Five days walking, one day of rest. The route begins on February 11th from San Francisco and we will wind along a southern route and then eventually north where we will end up in Washington D.C. on July 11th.

3) Do you have to carry all of your stuff with you?

We will be responsible for most of our own personal belongings, but this is a supported walk, which means there will be a caravan of buses and vans to carry overload supplies. Also, not everyone will be able to walk every day, or for the entire distance every day..so that caravan will also be able to transport walkers as need be. This walk is open to everyone, including children and elders so they wanted to make sure everyone would be able to particpate to the best of their ability.

4) How much does it cost?

There is no charge for the walkers. This walk is supported by donations from the public. Our food, transport and shelter (when we are not camping, which will be most of the time) will be provided for.

5) Why are you going?

There are a few reasons why I'm going -- and none of them are necessarily more important than the other.

a) Having already planned financially to take a year off and devote time to my writing, I am in the grateful position to do this, so the timing couldn't be better.

b) I have, in the last 5 years, experienced some amazing growth through my recovery and my work at Sisters of the Road. I am looking forward to taking this time to integrate all I have learned spiritually and emotionally and take a look at "what's next" along those lines. I have learned that service to both my own spirit and others is how I can remain "trudging this road of happy destiny" and I am hoping this journey will provide some insight towards that end.

c) I'm a sucker for adventure.

d) Honestly, since I've heard about this I have almost felt guided by "something" to do this. I feel like I'm kind of along for the ride on this one and so even though I feel some fear around leaving home...it feels right.

So........that's all I've got for now. You can go to www.longestwalk.org to find out more, including the itinerary for the route. They have posted our first month walking schedule with more to come.

This was longer than I thought! If you have anymore questions, please send them along and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!

No comments: