Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Plenty of room left in that handbasket..."

This morning at ESSR one of the speakers mentioned that Jehovah's Witnesses believe that there is only room for 144,000 souls in heaven.

"Wow, only 144,000," gwen whispered next to me, "Not much point in working that anymore."

"What are we doing in this handbasket and where are we going?" I smirked back, quoting my favorite bumpersticker of all time.

The title of today's blog was gwen's response and it has just made me smile all day.

And, because I'm a dork - I had to look up the whole J Witness thing. Apparently, those 144,000 (which..is such a number that doesn't seem random. Number freaks? Religous know-it-alls? What's up with the 144,000?) get to hang out with Jesus and rule the rest of the saved after Armageddon. It sounds kind of Sci-Fi really - there's this whole Millennial Reign thing going on which just screams graphic novel. I'm sure I've reserved my space in that handbasket just for writing this down...and you're reading it, so I'm gonna scoot on over and pat the wicker next to me my friend.

P.S. After reading my first post, Joan suggested I rename my Blog, "Burt is my Mews."
See how clever my friends are? That's why I keep 'em around...so much smarter than me.

No comments: